Personally, I don’t quite understand how the beginning of 2019 is less than a week away. It seems like 2018 is all a pretty big blur from my end…. School, work, gym, sleep, repeat. 2018 was an interesting year but I’m definitely ready for 2019 (as I feel most people are!). That being said, I wanted to get started with this year on a different note. I’m not normally one to set goals, or create intentions and I definitely don’t do the whole “new years resolution” thing (because I feel like they’re just a big let down most of the time). BUT I decided that I wanted to give it a try this year, and instead of planning out my goals for the whole year, I just want to plan it on a month-by-month basis.
So January. So fresh, so new, full of new beginnings and high hopes for how this next 365 days will pan out. When I was thinking about how I want this year to go, I was breaking it down in my head and it really came down to how I want to start this new year. They say it takes about 6 weeks to create a habit and 21 weeks to create a lifestyle – so instead of thinking of these massive BHAGs (for those unfamiliar with the acronym, it’s Big Hairy Audacious Goal) I’m going to go with smaller, but strategic, goals.
I literally just read a tweet about 4 minutes ago that said..
You should have 3 hobbies. One that makes you money, one that keeps you fit, and one that keeps you creative.
…. and I thought “woah, that’s fucking true.”. So I’m also including that in my goal/intention setting for the month.
– Reading. I have to read A LOT for school, but I want to keep reading for pleasure in the midst of it all. I love reading! I always have. But I always put it to the side because I have to read a thousand textbooks. I would like to finish 1 book of my own choosing this month (textbooks don’t count).
– THIS BLOG! Damn people, why no one call me out for not blogging. This is my “Creative hobby” yet I haven’t done it seriously in a few years (since I went back to school really..). I’m planning out a content calendar to help me stay on track with what I want to talk to you guys about and what I just want to talk about in general. I write my blog more for me (sorry guys) and it’s fun that people actually read it. I want to get back into it SO BAD.
– Create a solid morning routine and make it a habit. I’m so bad with mornings. I want to be up earlier and create a habit out of it. I also want a solid foundational morning routine….
– My last semester of my degree is happening from mid-January until mid-April. YASS then I’m FREE!!!! I don’t want the fact that I’m almost all done to distract me from doing well in my last few courses. This month I need to stay on top of my readings & note takings so it becomes a habit for the whole semester.”
– I have a good chunk of savings for a goal that’s (hopefully) going to happen later this year. With that being said, I want to increase my savings by 10% this month. I also have a little balance on my credit card (black Friday… the holidays… what can I say?) so I also want to get that paid off by the end of the month as well.
Fitness & Health
– This year in general I really want to focus more on strength training. I’m a cardio queen but that also means I wear off a lot of muscle for energy and I’m not really that strong (except maybe my legs). I signed up for a 30 day strength program to get my started so I can 1. Know what I’m doing in the weight area of the gym and 2. Start to feel more confident with weights so I’m less scared to actually walk into the weight area of the gym lol. This month I want to finish the 30-day program I enrolled in and show you guys before + after photos.
– Also dry January…. #nuffsaid
– Work goals and intentions are interesting because a lot of the goals I have at work are much bigger and much more long term than this month will allow. I guess I could use January to really hone in on those goals, organize + prioritize them & get started on a lot of marketing planning that I need to do relatively soon.
I think for a 1-month plan, what I’ve got is pretty good. It’s SMART! Specific, Measurable, attainable, realistic & timely. What kinds of goals are you working on this year?